- Honey bees will readily visit flowers within ½ mile to 2 miles of their colony, but they will travel as much as 6 miles, if necessary.
- Optimum air temperatures for flower visits are between 60°F and 90°
- Honey bee foraging stops when wind speeds are greater than about 25 mph.
- Odor plays a critical role in locating food resources. There are 5,000 to 6,000 olfactory detectors on each antenna.
- Bees taste through their mouthparts and forelegs. They can detect sugar solutions as low as 2% but are not interested unless the concentration is 30% or more.
By Lee Townsend, Extension Entomologist